A forklift licence is an attractive skill to have for potential employers in the labour hire and warehousing industry.
Forklift drivers can be employed in a range of roles, such as:
- Logistics clerk/assistant
- Store person
- Truck driver
- Warehouse manager/operations manager/assistant
Forklifts are used to transport containers, crates and bulky items which are too heavy to be lifted or moved to alternate locations. Drivers must have a forklift licence to operate a forklift to move these items safely.
Having this qualification makes you a multi skilled and desirable employee. It can be a point of difference between you and other candidates and means that you’ll be able to do more than just the basic grunt work in a warehousing or labouring role where forklifts are often used.
Here’s what you need to know about getting your forklift licence:
- You need to be at least 18 years old
- You need to be fluent in English, written and verbal
- You need to be able to provide 100 points of ID (passport, drivers licence, birth certificate etc.
- There are two types of forklift licence:
- LF class licence – this only allows you to operate forklift trucks
- LO class licence – this allows you to only operate an order/stock picker forklift
So how do you get your forklift licence and become a forklift driver?
The process involves 3 main steps:
1. Sit a training and assessment course
A nationally recognised course such as Star Training & Assessing’s Licence to Operate a Forklift Truck is aligned with industry requirements which will provide you with the experience in a broad range of workplace situations.
The course content covers everything to meet relevant Australian standards including: hazard prevention, specifications and instructions, how to conduct routine checks, plan work, safe operation, shift load, shut down equipment and secure site.
2. Assessment for licence
To get your Forklift licence a written, mathematical and practical assessment will be conducted – so pay attention!
3. Licence application
Once the practical assessment has been successfully completed you will need to submit an application in person at an Australia Post branch to Work Health & Safety within 60 days.
The more licences you have, the more your job search can expand.
Add another licence to your tool belt and get your forklift licence!